For most of the 20th century, the D'Oyly Carte Opera performed HMS Pinafore with a companion piece, Trial by Jury. Opera Australia re-unites these long-standing stage-mates with two fresh productions and an inspired cast.
While HMS Pinafore was Gilbert and Sullivan’s first full-length satirical work and first major international success, Trial by Jury was their first collaboration – the show’s outrageous antics made it the toast of London.
In this filmed recording, Anthony Warlow, Australia’s musical theatre superstar, is at the helm as both the “right good captain” and the “good judge” too. He is joined by a stellar cast featuring David Hobson, John Bolton Wood and Colette Mann as “dear little Buttercup”.
2. We sail the ocean blue
3. I'm called Little Buttercup
4. But tell me who's the youth
5. The nightingale
6. A maiden fair to see
7. My gallant crew
8. Sir, you are sad!
9. Sorry her lot
10. Sir Joseph's barge is seen
11. Now give three cheers
12. When I was a lad
13. For I hold that on the seas
14. A British tar
15. Refrain, audacious tar
16. Can I survive this overbearing?
18. Fair moon, to thee I sing
19. Things are seldom what they seem
20. The hours creep on apace
21. Never mind the why and wherefore
22. Kind Captain, I've important information
23. Carefully on tiptoe stealing
24. Farewell, my own!
25. A many years ago
26. O joy, oh rapture unforeseen
Trial by Jury
27. Hark, the hour of ten is sounding
28. Is this the Court of the Exchequer?
29. When first my old, old love I knew
30. All hail, great Judge!
31. When I, good friends, was called to the Bar
32. Swear thou the jury
33. Where is the Plaintiff?
34. Oh never, never, never
35. May it please you, m'Lud
36. That she is reeling is plain to me
37. Oh gentlemen, listen I pray
38. That seems a reasonable proposition
39. A nice dilemma we have here
40. I love him, I love him
41. Oh, joy unbounded
42. Curtain Calls / Credits
" “...delightfully playful with just the right balance of tongue-in-cheek humor." - The Daily Telegraph
“...a luminous cast, impeccable orchestra and spirited direction." - The Age
Anthony Warlow David Hobson Colette Mann Tiffany Speight John Bolton Wood Richard Alexander Opera Australia Melbourne Chorus and Dancers Orchestra Victoria
Conductor: Andrew Greene Director: Stuart Maunder Choreographer: Elizabeth Hill
© 2015 All rights Reserved